Funky Cat to be renamed?

John Cat

Reaction score
Driving
No ORA yet
I read today on the auto express uk webpage a report on the Shanghai Auto Show stating that Ora may be renaming it's Cat Range. The suggestion is that the Funky Cat would become the Ora 03 while the soon to be released Lightning Cat will be the Ora 07. Also there was a suggestion of there being a mid range SUV in between to be called - yes indeed - the Ora 05. Perhaps the various 'Cat' names aren't taking off in the public's mind? Which seems odd as they are distinctive. Or maybe they are following the lead of Smart with their #1 model (and newly announced #3 model). None of this is official but it would be interesting if confirmed. Any thoughts?

I did raise this issue with IMG over a year ago when we were first in discussions with them about Ora.

The problem as I see it is that the name is quite polarising - the Cat moniker doesn't hold any auspicious thoughts in the eyes of Western car buyers. Particularly with more models coming which perhaps have different demographics to the Funky Cat.

The Lightening Cat, for example, is a more masculine, £40-50k (I imagine), saloon which will appeal more to the sort of customer who has been buying a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq5/6. Not sure that sort of buyer will want a car called "XXXXX Cat".

The numerical naming convention is more typical of the car industry, and sets out the model lineup in a more understandable order. A bit more boring though, perhaps.

Yes I do take your point so it will be interesting to see if they follow through. As a side note I saw a video online from S Africa (with a right hand drive car) and they will also be getting both versions of the First edition Ora - with the longer range cars and heated seats etc. Seems the UK has missed out.

I did raise this issue with IMG over a year ago when we were first in discussions with them about Ora.

The problem as I see it is that the name is quite polarising - the Cat moniker doesn't hold any auspicious thoughts in the eyes of Western car buyers. Particularly with more models coming which perhaps have different demographics to the Funky Cat.

The Lightening Cat, for example, is a more masculine, £40-50k (I imagine), saloon which will appeal more to the sort of customer who has been buying a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq5/6. Not sure that sort of buyer will want a car called "XXXXX Cat".

The numerical naming convention is more typical of the car industry, and sets out the model lineup in a more understandable order. A bit more boring though, perhaps.
Quite a lot of people ask me what I'm driving, and I always say GWM Ora ... although, in my head, my car is a Black Cat :) I personally think the word 'Funky' is a problem in the UK as 'funky' often means 'yuck/bitoff' eg "Funky smell" (wrinkled nose)!

Yeah it's the Chinese cultural language not working in the UK. They really ought to have researched this better.
In 2001, Honda introduced their latest car, the Fitta, to the Nordic countries only to discover that “fitta” is a vulgar word that refers to a woman’s genitals in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. This was compounded by Japanese ads highlighting the vehicle’s attributes as “small on the outside, but large on the inside”. The Fitta was promptly renamed the Jazz.
ku-xlarge

I read today on the auto express uk webpage a report on the Shanghai Auto Show stating that Ora may be renaming it's Cat Range. The suggestion is that the Funky Cat would become the Ora 03 while the soon to be released Lightning Cat will be the Ora 07. Also there was a suggestion of there being a mid range SUV in between to be called - yes indeed - the Ora 05. Perhaps the various 'Cat' names aren't taking off in the public's mind? Which seems odd as they are distinctive. Or maybe they are following the lead of Smart with their #1 model (and newly announced #3 model). None of this is official but it would be interesting if confirmed. Any thoughts?
If you look at other threads on this site. There have been copyright questions raised with both the words 'funky and cat' Hence the fact that the cars in the UK have been rebadged before delivery.

I read an article confirming that today too - the author wasn't very impressed, stating that it made the car less interesting to be called Ora 03. But I guess that opinion might not be shared. Certainly when it was launched several journalists said 'Funky Cat???/ Whaaaaaat?' LOL

Tbh I actually thought the model was ora 03 and funky cat was just added on later

In China there is the Good Cat. They also do a model called the Punk Cat. And the Ballet Cat. And the new fastback is the Lightning Cat. All a little more interesting than numbers LOL

Latest posts

Back