Orangutang

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
CAT Mars Red
Hi everyone. Recently ordered an Ora 03 Pure+ on a lease deal. This doesn't show up on most comparison sites and when it does I'm only getting a couple of quotes back and in the >£1000 mark

If I change the insurance to a year old Funky Cat, plenty of quotes in the £400 range.

Anyone know who to go with for the 03?

Hi everyone. Recently ordered an Ora 03 Pure+ on a lease deal. This doesn't show up on most comparison sites and when it does I'm only getting a couple of quotes back and in the >£1000 mark

If I change the insurance to a year old Funky Cat, plenty of quotes in the £400 range.

We are with Zurich though the AA which cost about £600 per year. I cannot give an accurate figure because we insured part way through the year with the previous insurer which would not insure the Ora and so gave us a refund of premium.

Hi , so my story in Ora insurance
In November I bought a new ORA funky cat first edition and insured with LV for around £400
In jan they wrote to me and actually told me the insurance was being cancelled and they reimbursed me the balance .las they were no longer offering cover for this car !
No explanation given
Eventually got it after much chasing around with Admiral at just over £800
This was best quote and many insurers wouldn’t even quote !
I’d love to hear of any that would insure for around £400 .
Not a good experience

AA didn't show the Pure+ as an option, something I've found with a few websites. It's a few weeks until I receive the car, hopefully the insurance companies get their act together and add the proper trims

Hi, I’m in exactly the same boat. Have a reg number, but no insurers recognise it. If I add the details manually (exactly the same as yours), there’s only 1 insurer coming up, Tesco, with a 600% increase on my current premium.
I’ve been driving for 30 years, 20+ years NCD, no claims.

600% increase plus a £500 excess simply not an option for me. Car arriving in 2 weeks, getting very worried.

Hi, I’m in exactly the same boat. Have a reg number, but no insurers recognise it. If I add the details manually (exactly the same as yours), there’s only 1 insurer coming up, Tesco, with a 600% increase on my current premium.
I’ve been driving for 30 years, 20+ years NCD, no claims.

600% increase plus a £500 excess simply not an option for me. Car arriving in 2 weeks, getting very worried.
I mentioned in an earlier post that when we bought the car last August the AA had no difficulty in placing the insurance with Zurich for a premium (fully comprehensive) of about £600. You may have been allocated a registration number but until the car is registered to you with DVLA on the day you take delivery insurance companies will not be able to find it. Use a broker (the AA for example) and let it do the work. If you cannot make any progress with an online application phone the company! I hope that helps.

It's always worth remembering that insurers may still list the car as "Funky Cat". Ora 03 Pure+ won't mean anything.

I mentioned in an earlier post that when we bought the car last August the AA had no difficulty in placing the insurance with Zurich for a premium (fully comprehensive) of about £600. You may have been allocated a registration number but until the car is registered to you with DVLA on the day you take delivery insurance companies will not be able to find it. Use a broker (the AA for example) and let it do the work. If you cannot make any progress with an online application phone the company! I hope that helps.

Thanks, yes this is the problem that only one insurer (Tesco) recognises the O3.
Just spent the last 3.5 hours calling brokers only to be told I have no options as they don’t recognise the O3 on their system.

I don’t want a quote for a Funky Cat as that’s a very clear out for the insurer should I need to claim.

A bit stuck here…..

Thanks, yes this is the problem that only one insurer (Tesco) recognises the O3.
Just spent the last 3.5 hours calling brokers only to be told I have no options as they don’t recognise the O3 on their system.

I don’t want a quote for a Funky Cat as that’s a very clear out for the insurer should I need to claim.

A bit stuck here…..
I assume that you phoned the AA. I am surprised that it was unable to help given our experience (see above).

Yep, phoned AA, Aviva, Admiral, and a number of others. None of them were interested when they couldn’t find the model on their system.

If you bought the car in Aug 2023, you'll have a Funky Cat as it wasn’t rebranded to O3 until Jan 2024, I assume?

I assume that you phoned the AA. I am surprised that it was unable to help given our experience (see above).
I am sorry that I have not been able to help. I know the answer but it would be unacceptable to you.

In the same boat here. Delivery likely in the next couple of weeks and having the same issue with insurance. Hopefully can be rectified asap or I may have to look at other options.

Hi,
I'm in the same position as most, impossible to find insurance for the 03 but simple for the now defunct funkycat...any more ideas as I might be cancelling my order if this does not get solved

OK, a little more info after spending too many spare hours that I dont have on this....

As we know, the problem is that Funky Cat was rebranded and introduced as O3 mid-Jan. So, a brand new Funky Cat doesnt exist so cannot be quote on and the O3 has only filtered to a very small number of brokers systems. Hence nigh on impossible to get a quote, and seemingly impossible to get anything sensible.
I take delivery of my lease O3 in <2 weeks and it'll cost me £750 to cancel. Far from ideal :(

After speaking to my lease company, they have queried this with Head of UK Sales at GWM and its known to them that brokers dont recognise the new model yet and recognise a new FC as withdrawn. Need to sit & wait while the O3 appears on insurance DBs.

My lease company has provided me with an ABI code that identifies the O3 to insurers and I've had to phone as many brokers as I can to get quotes; its so difficult to find broker land lines these days!
Having spent the last day and a half doing this, I can confirm 80% of brokers don't recognise GWM, FC or O3 even with the ABI code and are not interested.
Of the handful who did recognise, the best quote I got was from Hastings which was double my current policy (same insurance group car) and an excess of almost 4 figures!!!

For me, either somebody can quickly find a broker who recognises the O3 with a sensible quote or if no change in Insurance systems in the next 2 weeks then I'm massively out of pocket with the Ora :(

Hope you other guys in the same boat fayre better than me.

Yep, exactly same boat, I have spent countless hours inputting my details into countless websites to no avail. I also have this ABI code but like you mentioned this means absolutely nothing to the call centre staff.
Trying Directline and hypothetical using Funkycat as the car, I managed to get a quote of £320 which is perfect, however one insurance broker ( Adrianflux) did have the 03 on their system whereupon I was quoted £1200 for the same cover. I have already postponed my car which was meant to come on the 26th, if this isn't sorted soon it will definitely be cancelled.

Saw this posted on an Ora Facebook group
1000024466.jpg

OK, a little more info after spending too many spare hours that I dont have on this....

As we know, the problem is that Funky Cat was rebranded and introduced as O3 mid-Jan. So, a brand new Funky Cat doesnt exist so cannot be quote on and the O3 has only filtered to a very small number of brokers systems. Hence nigh on impossible to get a quote, and seemingly impossible to get anything sensible.
I take delivery of my lease O3 in <2 weeks and it'll cost me £750 to cancel. Far from ideal :(

After speaking to my lease company, they have queried this with Head of UK Sales at GWM and its known to them that brokers dont recognise the new model yet and recognise a new FC as withdrawn. Need to sit & wait while the O3 appears on insurance DBs.

My lease company has provided me with an ABI code that identifies the O3 to insurers and I've had to phone as many brokers as I can to get quotes; its so difficult to find broker land lines these days!
Having spent the last day and a half doing this, I can confirm 80% of brokers don't recognise GWM, FC or O3 even with the ABI code and are not interested.
Of the handful who did recognise, the best quote I got was from Hastings which was double my current policy (same insurance group car) and an excess of almost 4 figures!!!

For me, either somebody can quickly find a broker who recognises the O3 with a sensible quote or if no change in Insurance systems in the next 2 weeks then I'm massively out of pocket with the Ora :(

Hope you other guys in the same boat fayre better than me.

ABI codes are above, in post #18. As I mentioned already, unless money is no concern for you then you’re wasting your time trying to get a sensible quote.

I’m still unable to get any insurance quotes. The Ora Facebook group somebody mentioned above doesn’t make for good reading, many many people in exactly the same boat. Seems Ora have royally ****ed up with this rebrand.

My lease company are now struggling on a viable (and legal) solution, and my car is supposedly being delivered in c10 days. They seem very keen on getting the car onto my drive, for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back