Anyone manage to get a decent quote yet?, I'm lead to believe according to my local Ora dealer that insurance companies update their database on a monthly basis and the new Ora 03 should be added imminently....or is he just grasping at straws???

Well, according to the above GWM letter the Thatcham insurance database was updated 15th Jan so I’m also not holding my breath.
My o3 delivery for next week has now been cancelled. The order hasn’t been cancelled, so I’m now left without a car while the insurance situation plays out. Miles from happy.

So there have been some comments online stating that insurance companies are calling customers back and stating that the 03 can be insured under the "Funky Cat" as its the same car. But there has been not wording on. Still some positive steps in the right direction.

I believe the above was from Admiral.

Well, according to the above GWM letter the Thatcham insurance database was updated 15th Jan so I’m also not holding my breath.
My o3 delivery for next week has now been cancelled. The order hasn’t been cancelled, so I’m now left without a car while the insurance situation plays out. Miles from happy.

Just wondering, if your delivery has been cancelled, but the order is still active, how long do you now have to wait to get it delivered (if you choose to)?

Well, just off chatting to a Directline employee, seemingly they are now giving out insurance for the 03. I've attached the correspondence which was per chat box on the Directline site. I phoned later on when I was home and the call centre ofcourse knew nothing about this possibility. She called an underwriter whilst I waited and he confirmed that the Ora 03 was actually the now defunct Funkycat and I was allowed to proceed with insuring my 03 under the Funky name. I am getting written confirmation and also made a point of the call being recorded. Anyway fingers crossed.
1000011098.jpg
1000011097.jpg

Yep, exactly same boat, I have spent countless hours inputting my details into countless websites to no avail. I also have this ABI code but like you mentioned this means absolutely nothing to the call centre staff.
Trying Directline and hypothetical using Funkycat as the car, I managed to get a quote of £320 which is perfect, however one insurance broker ( Adrianflux) did have the 03 on their system whereupon I was quoted £1200 for the same cover. I have already postponed my car which was meant to come on the 26th, if this isn't sorted soon it will definitely be cancelled.
Try Direct Line

Any further updates on insurance? I’m now officially up the creek without a paddle thanks to this fiasco. My current lease car goes back tomorrow, and there is no sign of an insurance breakthrough, so I’m left immobile.
In fact it seems to have gone backwards with brokers now branding the O3 as Group 99 (uninsurable) due to no parts being available.

Looking around socials GWM are being absolutely crucified, not only on the insurance issue but quite a few other things. Lack of response appears that they could not care less.
Looking at lease prices, an o3 can be picked up for little over £100 per month. Means nothing, as who would pay anything at all to have 2 ton of unusable metal on their drive?!?

Massive lesson learned for me on leasing an unknown quantity. Never ever again.

Any further updates on insurance? I’m now officially up the creek without a paddle thanks to this fiasco. My current lease car goes back tomorrow, and there is no sign of an insurance breakthrough, so I’m left immobile.
In fact it seems to have gone backwards with brokers now branding the O3 as Group 99 (uninsurable) due to no parts being available.

Looking around socials GWM are being absolutely crucified, not only on the insurance issue but quite a few other things. Lack of response appears that they could not care less.
Looking at lease prices, an o3 can be picked up for little over £100 per month. Means nothing, as who would pay anything at all to have 2 ton of unusable metal on their drive?!?

Massive lesson learned for me on leasing an unknown quantity. Never ever again.
I know, its shocking really. Where did you find the £100(ish) a month deal though please?

Somebody linked it on the Facebook Ora group, via LeaseLoco I believe.

Why would you pay £100(ish) to have an unusable car stranded on your drive (genuine question)?

Somebody linked it on the Facebook Ora group, via LeaseLoco I believe.

Why would you pay £100(ish) to have an unusable car stranded on your drive (genuine question)?
I dont think that quote ever existed.
Sad to say, looks like Ora really messed up and it will bite them hard.
There are better deals out there people, better cars, less issues, larger range, cheaper insurance.

Sorry Ora!

I lease mine though motability and have found no spare parts available, a track rod got bent, pot hole, they got a new track rod quite quickly but the new nuts would take upto 6 months, they used the old nuts with "lock nut". Also I had a chip in the windscreen, when I sent a photo they said it was too large & far gone to repair, the technician turned up and said he was going to repair it as they could not get a new screen, so now I have a very visable repair which is in the arc of the drivers wiper blade. Thank god I haven't got to get it MOTed.

I lease mine though motability and have found no spare parts available, a track rod got bent, pot hole, they got a new track rod quite quickly but the new nuts would take upto 6 months, they used the old nuts with "lock nut". Also I had a chip in the windscreen, when I sent a photo they said it was too large & far gone to repair, the technician turned up and said he was going to repair it as they could not get a new screen, so now I have a very visable repair which is in the arc of the drivers wiper blade. Thank god I haven't got to get it MOTed.
Not good
Shocking from ORA!!!

I posted a comment on an ORA 03 advert on Instagram briefly summarising the posts on this forum about the difficulty in obtaining insurance. In reply ORA UK posted: "We are aware of the situation and are taking direct steps to improve consumer choice when it comes to insurance. We will continue to work closely with key industry partners and will share an update as soon as we have more information on this topic."

I posted a comment on an ORA 03 advert on Instagram briefly summarising the posts on this forum about the difficulty in obtaining insurance. In reply ORA UK posted: "We are aware of the situation and are taking direct steps to improve consumer choice when it comes to insurance. We will continue to work closely with key industry partners and will share an update as soon as we have more information on this topic."

So its like them effectively saying "I know right"
1709804538110.png

Hi. I completed a quote with direct line and got £690.
Tesco will also insure but that's over £1000 at the moment.
Churchill are about £800.

Last edited:
So I went to GoCompare and tried a quote for the following:

Vehicle​

GWM ORA, FUNKY CAT 400PRO+

Proposer name​

John ***

Additional driver(s)​

None

Start date​

15th March 2024

Cover type​

Comprehensive

Protected no claims​

Yes

Total annual payment £ 609 .26

Total excess on this policy £725

Compulsory £475

Voluntary £250

Interesting to note the excess of £475 plus the voluntary excess.

BUT!

With the exact same details but not entering the Funky Cat bit (but otherwise exactly the same car) the quote was £1287.26!

Oooops!

Sorry GWM Ora - you made a mess of this! Big time....

So I went to GoCompare and tried a quote for the following:

Vehicle​

GWM ORA, FUNKY CAT 400PRO+

Proposer name​

John ***

Additional driver(s)​

None

Start date​

15th March 2024

Cover type​

Comprehensive

Protected no claims​

Yes

Total annual payment £ 609 .26

Total excess on this policy £725

Compulsory £475

Voluntary £250

Interesting to note the excess of £475 plus the voluntary excess.

BUT!

With the exact same details but not entering the Funky Cat bit (but otherwise exactly the same car) the quote was £1287.26!

Oooops!

Sorry GWM Ora - you made a mess of this! Big time....
PS the comparison site had all variations of the car listed - including Pro+, Pure +, O3 and Funky Cat so they do know about the name change. But...

Latest posts

Back